Image: CC/L. academia
1. In patients with anemia and chronic kidney disease, treating with epoetin alfa to a lower hemoglobin target was associated with significantly reduced incidence of the composite event (death, MI, hospitalization for CHF, and stroke).
2. Achieving the lower hemoglobin target required significantly lower doses of epoetin alfa.
1. Daily iron supplementation in 2- to 5-year-olds increases hemoglobin and ferritin levels, though there is insufficient data to infer impact on iron deficiency anemia.
2. Supplementation has no effect on physical growth or morbidity from infectious causes.
3. Further data are needed to assess effects of daily iron supplementation...
1. Hemodialysis patients who received peginesatide had similar hemoglobin levels and similar rates of adverse events as patients who received traditional epoetin treatments.
Published today in NEJM, The EMERALD 1 and 2 trials evaluated the safety and efficacy of peginesatide for treatment of anemia in hemodialysis patients.
The study effectively demonstrated that...