Tag: health

Image: PD 1. Among pre-term neonates, the likelihood of respiratory distress, low Apgar and death was higher after cesarean compared with vaginal delivery.  2. Vaginal delivery may provide benefit to preterm infants, particularly with regard to respiratory function.  Evidence Rating Level: 2 (Good)  Study Rundown: Researchers found that compared with vaginal delivery, cesarean...
Image: PD 1. When compared to gold standard direct intraoperative cortical stimulation (DCS), pre-operative navigational transcranial magnetic stimulation (nTMS) showed an overall sensitivity of 90.2% for detecting language areas.  2. nTMS had a sensitivity of 100% for broca’s area when compared with DCS.  Evidence Rating Level: 2 (Good)  Study Rundown: nTMS is a...
Image: PD 1. The six most commonly used preoperative scoring systems had weak linear correlations with hospital costs.  2. Hospital costs were correlated with length of ICU stay, which was not well predicted by preoperative scoring systems.  Evidence Rating Level: 2 (Good)  Study Rundown: A bottom-up method of cost calculations for 887 adult...
Image: PD 1. Projections for the total spending on healthcare from 2003-2012 were off by $514 billion. 2. The 2007-2009 recession, Medicare rate reductions, and increases in Medicaid/Uninsured populations accounts for 45% of the spending slowdown. 3. The remaining 55% of the spending slowdown is in question but predicted to be associated...
Image: PD 1. Ultrasound (US) follow-up for longer than three years did not yield increased cancer detection after a benign fine-needle aspiration (FNA) of a thyroid nodule.  2. Patients with a benign biopsy who were followed for longer than three years had significantly more ultrasounds and FNAs.  Evidence Rating Level: 2 (Good)  Study...
Image: PD 1. Subcutaneous immunotherapy (SCIT) and sublingual immunotherapy (SLIT) both show efficacy in treatment of pediatric allergic asthma and rhinitis.  2. While SCIT is FDA-approved, SLIT is currently used off-label in the United States. SLIT is approved and used in European countries.    Evidence Rating Level: 1 (Excellent) Study Rundown: Allergen-specific immunotherapy is...
Image: PD 1. No connection was found between influenza immunization and health service utilization among pediatric Irritable Bowel Disease (IBD) patients.  2. Only 25.3% of IBD patients received the vaccine during the study period despite international guidelines supporting influenza immunization.  Evidence Rating Level: 3 (Fair)  Study Rundown: IBD therapy frequently causes immunosuppression in...