1. A new evaluation algorithm for early-onset sepsis in neonates ≥ 34 weeks gestation incorporates both maternal and newborn clinical factors to stratify into 3 groups – treat empirically, observe and evaluate, and continued observation.
2. Usage of this algorithm may decrease antibiotic treatment for 80 000 to 240...
1. Probiotic supplementation in very preterm infants reduced the incidence of necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC), Bell Stage 2 and greater, but not late-onset sepsis or all-cause mortality. Number needed to treat was 43 infants to prevent 1 NEC episode.
2. No adverse effects were reported with probiotic supplementation.
Evidence Rating Level:...
1. Among 4797 PICC lines examined, the risk of central line associated blood stream infections (CLABSIs) in neonates increased over the first 2 weeks after peripherally inserted central catheter (PICC) placement, and then remained elevated, but steady until removal.
2. Gram-negative CLABSIs occurred more frequently in long-term (> 50...