In this section, we highlight the key high-impact studies, updates, and analyses published in medicine during the past week.
A Randomized, Controlled Trial of Oral Propranolol in Infantile Hemangioma
Infantile hemangiomas are a common nonmalignant cutaneous tumor of early childhood that can cause significant anxiety in children and their parents. While...
1. Azithromycin use was associated with decreased mortality in elderly patients hospitalized for pneumonia compared to treatment regimens with other antibiotics.
2. Azithromycin use was associated with an increased risk of myocardial infarction but not other cardiac events. No such association was seen in the female subgroup.
Evidence Rating Level: 2...
1. Use of azithromycin did not increase risk of cardiovascular death (CVD) in a general population of young and middle-aged adults.
Evidence Rating Level: 2 (Good)
Study Rundown: The study finds that azithromycin is not associated with higher risk of cardiovascular death (CVD) in a general young and middle-aged population....
1. In non-cystic fibrosis bronchiectasis patients, the azithromycin treated group had fewer rates of exacerbations vs. placebo group.
2. The azithromycin treated group had higher rates of gastrointestinal (GI) adverse effects and macrolide resistance.
In non-cystic fibrosis bronchiectasis patients, treatment with azithromycin lowered rates of infectious exacerbations, increased lung function...