1. The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recognizes that increased utilization and decreased resources have led to emergency department (ED) overcrowding for pediatric patients, resulting in decreased quality of care and patient safety.
2. The AAP's technical report advocates the use of evidence-based streamlining mechanisms to reduce ED crowding, such as...
1. Among patients presenting to emergency departments (EDs) for abdominal pain, Caucasian children were more likely to receive pain medication than African American, Hispanic, and other minority children.
2. African American and Hispanic patients were more likely to spend longer time in the ED as compared to Caucasian patients.
Image: PD Neuronal growth cone
1. Emergency providers’ clinical impression was moderately sensitive and specific in identifying drug-seeking behavior, as defined by prescription drug monitoring criteria.
2. In approximately 1 in 10 cases, providers changed their prescription plan for patients after reviewing data from a drug monitoring program.
Evidence Rating Level: 2...
Jan 25th - 18% of hospital discharges are followed by an acute care encounter within 30 days, and 40% of these are ED visits.
1. 18% of hospital discharges are followed by an acute care encounter within 30 days, and 40% of these are ED visits.
2. Gastrointestinal disorders...