1. Researchers found a strong link between prescription opioid use and the risk for invasive pneumococcal disease (IPD).
2. The strongest link was present in individuals using formulations of opioids that were long-acting, highly potent, or utilized at a high dose.
Evidence Rating Level: 3 (Average)
Study Rundown: Certain opioids possess immunosuppressive...
1. The AAP continues to recommend PPSV23 vaccination in children at high risk for invasive pneumococcal disease (IPD).
2. New guidelines suggest that children ages 6 to 18 with high risk for IPD additionally receive PCV13 if not previously immunized with this conjugate vaccine during early childhood.
Evidence Rating Level: 1...
1. Since the pneumococcal vaccine PCV7 was introduced in 2000, the US saw an overall annual reduction of an estimated 168,000 hospitalizations for pneumonia per year.
2. The greatest reductions in annual hospitalization rates for pneumonia were at the extremes of age with children < 2 years old experiencing...