1. Colchicine has been commonly used in the treatment of inflammatory conditions, including gout and serositis.
2. This study demonstrated that colchicine, in addition to standard therapy, significantly reduced the risk of incessant or recurrent pericarditis compared to placebo.
3. There were no significant differences between colchicine and placebo in the...
Originally published by Harvard Health.
What Is It?
Pericarditis is an inflammation of the pericardium, the saclike membrane around the heart. Pericarditis can be triggered by many, very different medical conditions. Often the exact cause cannot be identified. Doctors call this idiopathic pericarditis.
In many people with pericarditis, the initial trigger is...
1. Colchicine added to standard anti-inflammatory treatment significantly reduced the rate of further recurrences of pericarditis in patients with previous multiple recurrences.
2. Colchicine also reduced the symptom persistence at 72 hours, recurrences per patient, and pericarditis-related hospital admissions. There were no serious adverse effects.
Evidence Rating Level: 1 (Excellent)...