1. Lumasiran was shown to decrease urinary oxalate excretion in patients with Primary Hyperoxaluria Type 1.
2. Lumasiran was shown not to cause severe or serious adverse events.
Evidence Rating Level: 1 (Excellent)
Study Rundown: Oxalate is the toxic metabolite overproduced by the liver in Primary Hyperoxaluria Type 1 (PH1). The elevated...
1. Low birth weight is identified as a risk factor for later life hypertension and chronic kidney disease (CKD).
2. Maternal health/nutrition, genetics, and prenatal/postnatal environment are risk factors for low birth weight.
Evidence Rating Level: 3 (Fair)
Study Rundown: Developmental programming is a theory that connects environmental effects during fetal...
1. Patients with heart failure, chronic kidney disease, and hypertension demonstrate increased chemosensitivity in the carotid body, contributing to increased sympathetic activation.
2. Degree of autonomic dysregulation correlated with functional status and mortality.
3. In animal and human models, removal of the carotid body “reset” the sympathetic activation and improved vascular tone.
Primer: The carotid body, a highly...